Tiling adds immeasurable beauty to a home. However, there are cases when tiles can be an eyesore. Buckling or tenting of tiles, for instance, happens mainly due to changing temperatures. This is a common occurrence with ceramic or vitrified tiles because of the material composition in them. When heaving occurs, there’s a loud noise like a pop, and you will see that tiles have buckled up.
Causes of floor buckling
There are several reasons why floors buckle up, and most of them occur due to thermal changes. Here are the most common ones:
- Thermal shock: If you are experiencing a particularly hot day, and a sudden rain storm brings a downpour, the flooring is exposed to a thermal shock, due to which the tiles can buckle up in one or more areas.
- When temperature and humidity drop, materials shrink, and so the pressure on tiles will increase to a point where there is no more humidity in the room, and the tiles will pop.
- Another kind of temperature change can occur when sunlight heats up only a particular part of the floor, and the other part in the shade is relatively cooler – the point on the tiling which distinguishes these two areas will experience buckling.
- Badly laid tiles, especially when the underlying sub floor is not even, or the wrong adhesive is used to lay tiles, will buckle up in time.
How to prevent the buckling up of floors
Following correct tile laying techniques are the best way to prevent buckling up of tiles. Let’s get into the specifics of this:
- Use fresh tiles, and ensure that the tiles you choose are not old and dusty. Also, ensure that you buy the best quality of ceramic or vitrified tiles.
- The sub layer floor has to be absolutely even and absolutely clean.
- Use modern tiling techniques, especially ensure that the joints are correctly used, with due attention paid to the parameters of use.
- Use the right tile-laying adhesives and grouts. Using the wrong products can cause your floors to buckle up or pop.
Modern tiling techniques, as well as using appropriate tiling adhesives and grout, is the best way to prevent the buckling of floors. The beauty of a tile floor can be marred by even one popped or cracked tile. Ensure that you pay attention to small details when your tiles are laid. When all these considerations have been diligently considered, there is no reason for tiles to not stay beautiful!