The music of the falling rain is a welcome change after every harsh summer. Thoughts of a cosy, warm evening are always associated with the monsoons. But this wonderful is soon rained on (literally), if your home is not waterproofed.
It is easy to put off repairs, year after year, citing financial reasons or inconvenience, but if you knew how dangerous rain-water leakage is to your family’s health, you would surely reconsider. Rain water seeps in and affects not just walls and ceilings but even your health. This excessive wetness increases the moisture in the air, and encourages the growth of mould, bacteria and fungi. Here is a list of health hazards caused by water leakage in the monsoons.
- Respiratory problems
Mould needs two things – moisture and something to live on. When it has these two things, it releases tiny spores into the air. These spores are so small, that they can be inhaled, causing respiratory problems such as breathlessness, asthma, wheezing, bronchitis and more. These should never be taken lightly as neglecting your health and removing the root cause of these respiratory problems is of utmost importance.
- Skin problems such as eczema
The micro-organisms found in a home that gets little or no sunshine or ventilation especially during the monsoons, can cause skin problems, especially in children.
- General illness, fever and vomiting
Damp homes that have too much moisture encourage bacterial growth. If your family is going through a period of ill-health, don’t attribute it to a viral flu. It could be the dampness in your own home that’s making them sick.
The romance of the monsoons can be anything but, especially if your home is cold, damp and full of mould and fungi. Several research findings have shown a link between damp homes and depression.