The shape and outer view of your home are defined by your exterior walls. Structurally, exterior walls support the walls, roof and floors of your home. They also protect your home and family from weather extremities. The function of your exterior walls is to insulate, shed water, repel moisture and air infiltration. Let’s learn more about how you can maintain your home’s exterior walls in the best possible way.
The importance of waterproofing
Waterproofing is a must for external walls if you live in India. External walls are naturally prone to cracks because they are built with masonry to fill the spaces in the RCC frame of a building. With cracks, seepage is inevitable, and if left unchecked, it can spoil the interior walls too. Most people tend to simply cement over cracks and then paint over it. But this is a stop-gap solution.
Waterproofing can prevent cracks and seepage, and protect the interiors of your home. Seepage can cause structural damage too, so waterproofing is an important step in caring for your external walls, both aesthetically and structurally.
Steps in Water-proofing your External Concrete Walls
If your home shows signs of cracks on the external walls, and seepage inside, a few simple steps can help you address the problem, and strengthen your exterior walls
- Surface Preparation: If there are cracks on the external walls through which rain water is seeping into the interior walls, you can treat cracks with commercially available crack paste. Know that bigger or deeper cracks need more care, and ensure that you choose the right crack paste. Remove all surface imperfections and repair with a polymer modified mortar using Dr. Fixit Pidicrete URP.
- Priming: A priming sealer like Dr.Fixit Primeseal should be applied, ensuring that it is completely dry before going to the next step.
- Instead of simply cementing and painting over your external walls, use an all-in-one solution such as Dr. Fixit Raincoat exterior acrylic coating. It is an exterior acrylic coating that waterproofs as well as gives an aesthetic finish to your exterior walls.
Steps in Waterproofing your External Stone Cladding
- Many modern structures have a stone cladding on exterior walls. They need a silicone-based water repellent that will react with the silica in the stone and thus aid in protection against seepage and discolouring.
- Follow this up with an exterior acrylic coating like Dr. Fixit Raincoat.
The advantages of using an all-in-one exterior solution for walls
An all-in-one exterior coating will protect as well as make your walls look good. Dr. Fixit Raincoat is available in more than 700 shades, so that aesthetics is never a compromise!
It offers waterproofing as well as superior sheen. It can bridge cracks, it is resistant to algae and fungus, and twice as thick as normal paint.
Our exterior walls are the first line of defence against the elements of nature. It is important that we ensure that they are structurally sound as well as look good. With a little effort, you can indeed give your home exquisite exteriors!